2009/08/16

And The Ever Expanding Universe...


Adam - (2009) Directed by Max Mayer;

Starring Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne



Just saw Adam tonight at Angelika.


I hate it when I watch movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Science of Sleep in theatres and the audience laughs at the weird, awkward protagonist on the screen...I don't really hate it, it just annoys me but I can't take it too deeply since I've further noticed that the audience at theatres are usually spangled with individuals who are the unfortunate possessors of a dislocated funny bone, which causes them to cackle at any little occurrence.


I should've expected this to happen in Adam. Directed by Max Mayer and starring Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne, Adam was a good film and introduced me to Asperger's Syndrome. The only problem is now I'm wondering if I may have some of the symptoms of Asperger's gone undiagnosed all these years. Not picking up on social cues, such as reading body language (I'm practically dyslexic), starting or maintaining a conversation, and taking turns talking. Then there's the dislike of changes in routine and lack of empathy. Preoccupation with only one or few interests (in my case music and film and they're the only topics I can really talk about). There is also heightened sensitivity and overstimulation is easily triggered by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes, scents, or textures.


Another main problem of mine is interacting with another person and not truly being able to tell what that person is trying to communicate to me, it has to be really clear for me to understand and usually when its not I pretend that it is to avoid embarrassment or awkwardness.


However here's how I know I might not have Asperger's:

Handwriting is often poor.

Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

Unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch and accent.

Unusual facial expressions or postures (I don't know if I have this).

The film was good for its story. I wasn't at all too aware of Max Mayer as director. During the film, the only part that I felt uncomfortable with, was the cupboards that were filled with mac and cheese used as an hourglass. Adam had a healthy stock of Mac & Cheese and to indicate the passing of time Mayer would fade several boxes as a countdown in one of the earlier scenes of the film. I'm not entirely sure why this bothered me but it did. Also, I don't like mac and cheese but that had nothing to do with it.

No comments: