2009/09/28

Sunday Monday



The Devil's Brigade - (1968) Directed by Andrew V. McLaglen

Starring William Holden, Cliff Robertson, and Vince Edwards


Cliff Robertson is similar to today's Christian Bale, he was so intense. He pretty much plays an uptight Canadian Major in this film. He loosens up throughout the spanning of the plot but during the war scenes, he comes across as a little psychotic, its just that Cliff Robertson always adds this angst to his characters as if there's a build up within, that's painfully calling for release. Definitely worth watching in The Best Man against none better counterpoint, Henry Fonda. Its funny that I mentioned Christian Bale, because in The Best Man, Robertson reminds me more of Harvey Dent in Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale's The Long Halloween.



Home From the Hill - (1960) Directed by Vincente Minnelli

Starring Robert Mitchum, Eleanor Parker, George Peppard,

George Hamilton


What should I say about Robert Mitchum besides he's a man's man. The way he talks, the way his eyes have that half asleep, half disinterested look. It is my believe that if Mitchum Deodorant wasn't named after him, it should've. George Peppard was interesting to watch but he reminded me an awful lot of Newman, who I kept imagining in the role of Rafe. George Hamilton most annoyed me but he did a good job when all's said and done, because it was his character that I hated not his performance.



Alice - (1990) Directed by Woody Allen

Starring Mia Farrow, Alec Baldwin, Blythe Danner

Judy Davis, William Hurt, Keye Luke, Joe Mantegna

Bernadette Peters, Cybill Shepherd, Gwen Verdon


Wonderful, Mia Farrow is an amazing actor. I love how Woody is not in this film and in his stead, we have a woman who is shy, confused, sexually frustrated, descriptions that some of Woody's characters have been known to possess. Allen is a great storyteller, if I cared at all about relevance, I'd be ashamed that I'm only now discovering how good of a filmmaker Woody Allen is.



A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy - (1982)

Directed by Woody Allen; Starring Woody Allen,

Mia Farrow, Jose Ferrer, Julie Hagerty, Tony Roberts

Mary Steenburger


I won't even say anything. I think I'm going to watch it over and later on write a separate blog for this film.

No comments: