2008/10/27

Pounce Vs. Purpose (Casting for Catwoman)


Carrie-Anne Moss


So I am hearing much talk of Angelina Jolie and her possible interest in playing Catwoman in the next Christopher Nolan Batman film. I truly hope this does not come to be. Yes, Angelina Jolie is attractive and known for her aggressive, strong roles and personae but I don't see her as Selina Kyle in a Nolan film. Maybe it would've worked in Joel Schumacher's Batman, the fact that Julie Newmar thinks Jolie would make a perfect Catwoman somehow reinforces my distrust of Jolie being a good casting choice. Angelina Jolie is not the only action-woman in cinema and though I'd be the first to celebrate if Ridley Scott made an X-Force film and casted Jolie as Domino, I still feel Christopher Nolan's Catwoman/Selina Kyle would have to be of a similar aesthetic as his Batman/Bruce Wayne. Carrie-Anne Moss would be my first pick for the role, its too easy to see why, she's almost even dressed as Catwoman in the Matrix films but its her role in Memento that reasons my choice. Manipulative, strong, independant and smart, this was Natalie, Moss' character in Memento. Carrie-Anne Moss also looks more like a real Gotham citizen much as Maggie Gyllenhal far exceeded Katie Holmes in authenticity as Rachel Dawes, so much in fact one wishes it were Gyllenhal in Batman Begins. And yes, Jolie has played manipulative, strong, independant and smart characters throughout her career but I can't get over how clean she looks, even without make-up she looks like a super-model. I think she would exaggerate the feel of the character. Lena Headey is also on my top choices for actors to play Catwoman. In the end whoever Nolan decides to go with for the role, I have faith in him. I, in that same end, am not a director and if he sees something I do not in an actor than I trust it will result in yet another addition to my favorite films.

No comments: